A building that houses an antique store partially collapsed Monday afternoon in downtown Beaver Dam.

The business, Heirloom Antiques at 112 Main St., was closed when parts of the roof and an exterior wall fell in on itself and on an adjacent empty lot.

Beaver Dam Mayor Paul Sandefur said he received a call about 4 p.m. about the incident.

"We're not going to do anything drastic without consulting the owners and their insurance company, but we don't think it will be a problem for the city," Sandefur said later.

No one was inside the building at the time of the collapse and no injuries were reported.

Mary Duvall, the co-owner of the store with Beaver Dam City Commissioner Keith Dale, said the shop is usually closed on Mondays, but she had been in earlier in the day to hang up her renewed business license.

"I'm upset everything is probably gone, but glad no one is hurt," Duvall said.

The building was most likely built in the 1920s, she said.

E R Trucking and Excavating was called to tear down additional parts of the building facade to prevent it from falling into the street. Two other buildings near the antique shop weren't affected by the collapse.

Sandefur said the owners may be able to salvage items from the back of the store once crews removed debris and determined the building is safe.

A building collapsed in downtown Beaver Dam in 2010 at Main (U.S. 231) and First streets. That building contained Kids' Rescue Thrift Shop and a third-floor apartment where a family that owned and operated the thrift store lived. There were no injuries.

Charlie Shields, the Ohio County Emergency Management director, said the owners and their insurance company will have to determine what happens next, but the city wouldn't have to further take action on the building yet since it wasn't endangering other properties.

"At this time, I can't determine if there is a standing problem with this building or other buildings in the area until a building inspector makes a report," Shields said.

Death penalty will remain option in Butler double murder case

By Justin Story

Bowling Green Daily News

MORGANTOWN - A judge denied bail Monday for a man suspected in the deaths of a retired pastor and his wife.

The death penalty will also remain a potential option for punishment for Kevin Dye if he is found guilty as charged of two counts of murder.

Dye, 36, of Morgantown, is accused of shooting and killing Kenneth Neafus, 71, and his wife, Dorothy, 70, who were found dead Aug. 9, 2016, at their Richland Church Road home.

Dye is also accused of receiving stolen property (firearm) and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

He has been held in Butler County Jail since his arrest Aug. 25, 2016, but his defense team of attorneys Currie and Wes Milliken filed motions to eliminate the death penalty and to set a bond for his release while the case is pending.

Dye's attorneys argued the evidence in the case is too weak to support a finding of guilt on all charges and a jury's decision in favor of the death penalty would be "arbitrary, capricious and inadequately reliable."

Court filings by Dye's attorney featured claims that Dye's DNA hasn't been found at the crime scene and the Neafuses' DNA hasn't been found in Dye's vehicle.

"The stuff most likely to have yielded that (evidence) has all been tested and ruled out," Wes Milliken said Monday.

Butler County Commonwealth's Attorney Blake Chambers disputed the defense's characterization of the evidence, saying Monday that 102 items have been gathered by Kentucky State Police and sent for testing at the KSP Central Lab. Most of those items have been analyzed, but 22 items are left to be tested, Chambers said.

State law allows prosecutors to seek the death penalty in murder cases under any of several conditions, including if the case involves multiple deaths. Chambers also contended that, because the offenses in the case are punishable by death, bail cannot be imposed on the defendant.

To support his argument, he called KSP Detective Jason Lanham as a witness to testify about his involvement in the investigation.

Lanham said he was called to the Neafuses' home to assist in the investigation Aug. 9, 2016, and found Kenneth Neafus' body in the yard near the front of the house and his wife's body on a couch in the living room.

Both people appeared to have been shot in the head, and Kenneth Neafus' body showed signs of blunt force trauma to the head as well, Lanham said.

Prescription bottles and firearms were reported missing from the residence.

The detective began talking to relatives of the late couple.

"The family could not give me the name of anyone they'd suspect of doing this," Lanham said.

About a week later, Lanham heard from one of the couple's daughters, who recalled visiting with her parents in July 2016 and noticed that her father was acting strangely and mentioned he had received some troubling information, but he did not elaborate.

Lanham was also contacted by KSP Sgt. Brian McKinney, a Morgantown resident who suggested looking into Dye as a possible suspect.

"(McKinney) described (Dye) to me as very hot-headed ... a local drug dealer, he heard he had been breaking into houses and going door-to-door asking for money," Lanham said.

KSP officers received an anonymous tip Aug. 11, 2016, urging them to investigate Dye and heard from then-Butler County Jailer Terry Fugate four days later, who reported that someone came to his house about the murder and said "Dye was a good suspect to look at" and that he had been trying to get money from elderly residents in the area, Lanham testified.

Lanham said he attempted to contact Dye at his residence but got no answer and left a business card.

Dye came to KSP Post 3 in Bowling Green on Aug. 16, 2016, and was interviewed by detectives about his actions around the time of the homicides.

Dye was reluctant to answer a question from Lanham about whether he knew of a reason to kill the Neafuses.

"I repeated the question four times, but he never answered the question," Lanham said. "He started crying ... and said they were good people and they really helped (him)."

On Aug. 24, 2016, KSP heard from someone who reported that one of Dye's children talked about seeing Dye with blood on his arms, and Lanham followed up the following day, meeting the child at Morgantown Elementary School.

The child told police that he was in Dye's vehicle on the night of Aug. 8, 2016, outside of what police confirmed was the Neafus residence and that he saw "an older, bigger man" run out of the house toward the car, with Dye pushing the man away from the car and onto the grass, Lanham said.

The child described Dye as "hitting the bad man with a rock" and said Dye got into the car and used wet wipes to clean blood from his arms, the detective testified.

Multiple neighbors also reported that their homes were burglarized and money, weapons and drugs were stolen a few days after Dye visited them to ask for money, Lanham said.

Police obtained a search warrant for the car and Dye's residence, where they found a .32-caliber revolver that had been reported stolen. The Neafuses were struck with bullets fired from a .32-caliber firearm, Lanham said.

Dye was interviewed again the day of his arrest, and he was confrontational with police.

"He was so confrontational we had to stand up and detain him," Lanham said.

KSP obtained Dye's cellphone and saw no activity during a two-week period around the double homicide, but interviews with relatives established that Dye had been calling and sending texts during that time, Lanham said.

A pair of boots were also taken from Dye's home and found to have blood on them from three individuals, but there was not enough blood to do a comparative analysis and determine whose blood it was, according to the detective.

Under cross-examination from Wes Milliken, Lanham said testing of the firearm could not confirm that this was the murder weapon, and that none of the victims' blood was found in Dye's vehicle and no blood found in the Neafus' home matched Dye.

Lanham also testified he was not aware that Dye's son visited Chambers' office with his mother and recanted his account.

Crocker denied the motion for bail based on the information gathered in the investigation.

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.