After more than 17 years of hearing varying stories regarding her daughter's disappearance, a Madisonville woman has filed a civil suit in federal court demanding answers.

In the suit, Sarah Teague claims the Kentucky State Police, Henderson Police Department and additional defendants committed acts of misconduct during the 1995 investigation in the disappearance of her daughter, Heather Teague.

"I want the truth, and I want them to be held responsible," Teague said, wearing her ‘Have you seen Heather' button. "It is a shame that 171⁄2 years have gone by without any answers. I can't stop searching. I was chosen to be Heather's mother, and I was chosen for this search."

In the suit, filed Tuesday at the U.S. District Court in Owensboro, Teague requested a jury trial to provide truth and justice against the KSP.

She cites in her suit Matthew 10:26, which reads, "So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known."

As of Wednesday, KSP have yet to be served, said Trooper Corey King, public affairs officer for KSP Post 16.

"Every three months, it is our policy to review all open cases that we have," King said. "We vow to do everything in our power to solve this crime. The right doors just haven't been opened yet."

The validity of the initial 911 call, sketch of the suspect, DNA report, investigative report, autopsy report and FBI files obtained through the Freedom of Information Act are listed among the questionable acts in Teague's complaint against the KSP.

The only eyewitness to the incident, Tim Walthall, changed his story several times, Teague said.

On Aug. 26, 1995, between noon and 12:30 p.m., Teague's complaint says her daughter was seen sunbathing on Newburgh Beach in Henderson by Walthall, who was observing her from a telescope across the Ohio River.

According to reports, a scruffy, long-haired man wearing cut-off jeans and black tennis shoes came from the woods behind the beach and kidnapped her. Later, a red Bronco was seen leaving the area.

A sketch of the suspect who allegedly kidnapped Teague matched that of Marty Dill, who also drove a red Bronco.

"The sketch looked exactly like Marty Dill's driver's license photo," Teague said. "Right down to the shading of the shadow on his cheek."

Before being taken into police custody, Dill allegedly committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.

"He (Walthall) told me that he was asked to identify Marty Dill's body and to verify that it was him he saw take Heather that day," Teague said. "He told me then that the back of Marty's head had been blown off. Later though, I got a copy of the autopsy report from Marty's mother, and it said there was no exit wound on his body."

Additionally, Dill had been in jail before the incident and had his hair and beard shaved off, Teague said.

"The artist's sketch looked just like his driver's license photo, even though his (Marty's) appearance had changed when all this happened," Teague said. "His mother told me that four days before Heather's disappearance that he was clean-shaven and ‘so bald that his head shone in the sun.' "

Teague said she believes the wrong man was accused of kidnapping her daughter, but a sinister motive kept those around Dill quiet.

"His wife pled the Fifth," Teague said. "At the time, it was traumatic. Looking back, now I can see that she was afraid. I totally understand that is why she's not talking."

The well and pond on the Dill property were never searched for signs of Heather, Teague said.

Over time, stories began to surface about Heather's whereabouts.

"It was rumored that she was fed to hogs or that she was thrown in a well," Teague said. "It was even rumored that she had been sold."

The KSP failed to properly investigate all leads regarding Heather's disappearance, she said.

On Oct. 22, 2007, Teague filed paperwork to have her missing daughter legally declared dead. She did this in order to access evidence acquired by the FBI during its investigation of Heather's disappearance, she said.

In the FBI's report, which Teague received in 2011, it stated that Heather was last seen alive at 3 p.m. on a boat ramp in Henderson — a completely different report than was given by the Kentucky State Police.

The FBI's report also stated that Heather's disappearance could be linked to drugs, prostitution and public corruption, something Teague had no prior knowledge of, she said.

With pages and pages of conflicting reports, Teague says she just wants answers.

"I have exhausted all other measures to get answers for Heather," Teague said. "I don't want one penny of their money, I just want to know the truth. I want to know where Heather is and what happened on that beach Aug. 26, 1995."

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.